Solar energy systems continue to rise in popularity, and it’s easy to see why once you understand how they work and their benefits.
These systems work by converting the power of the sun into usable electrical power for your appliances and electronics. You’re probably familiar with the solar panels that people install on their roofs. Within these panels are photovoltaic cells – also knowns as PVs – that absorb the sun’s radiation and convert it to usable electricity for your home.
As you consider whether to add a solar energy system to your home, there are two major factors to consider: the benefits of your investment, and who you choose to partner with.
We’ll address both of those issues in this article.
What are the Benefits of Switching to Solar Electric?
Going solar is popular, and that popularity is reflected in the record-setting growth of residential solar installations. Here are a few great reasons your neighbors and fellow Floridians are investing in solar energy systems for their homes:
- Save money off your electric bill. The more you use solar power, the less you have to pay your electric company. Through net metering, your electricity provider will apply the excess energy your solar panels create as credits off your bill. Learn about the factors that affect how much you can save.
- It’s clean. Solar power is green energy, which means it’s renewable and plentiful and does not pollute the environment. As we move away from fossil fuels, we emit fewer pollutants into the air.
- It’s renewable and sustainable. The sun is a reliable source of power. A solar energy system replenishes itself naturally and will not run out.
- It Increases your home’s value. Homes with solar panels sell for about four percent (4%) more in Florida than those without panels.
- Keep the electricity flowing. A solar energy system will power the battery backups in your home so that you can keep the power on when there’s a blackout.
If you’re worried about the reliability of solar panels on your roof, we can assure you that the panels we install are durable. They can withstand the wet, stormy weather – including hurricanes -- we frequently experience here in Florida. With proper maintenance, you can expect them to perform at a high level for up to 40-50 years.
There’s also an immediate financial incentive to adding solar power to your home this year: You can save up to 26% off your solar project costs on your 2022 tax return if you install your system this year.
How to Find a Reliable Solar Energy System Installer
When looking for a company to install your system, here are a few tips to follow:
- Look at the customer ratings and testimonials. You judge a company by the quality of service they provide. Customer reviews will tell you what it’s like to work with a business and whether they are honest in their prices and processes. You’ll often see company ratings when you look them up on Google. Also, pay attention to reviews from the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask questions. It’s your money, and you want to make sure you’re spending it wisely. Ask each candidate about their process and timeline for designing and installing a system, what kind of warranties they offer, who the main contact will be to straighten out any issues, and how responsive they are.
- Make sure they are licensed and insured. Ask each candidate to show you proof that they are licensed for general electrical contracting and wiring. You’ll also want to see their general liability insurance.
- Get price and service quotes from different providers. This will help you make apples-to-apples comparisons between the companies so you have a clear idea of the value you can expect from each one.
Florida Solar is a family-owned business led by Bill Park. Bill has been designing and installing residential and commercial solar systems since 1984. When you work with Bill, you are working with an industry veteran.
The quality of our work reveals itself in the performance of the systems we install, so we invite you to read what our customers say about us.
Learn More About Florida Solar
For over 40 years, Florida Solar has installed residential and commercial solar panels and pool systems. If you are interested in adding a solar energy system to your home, contact us for a free quote or call us at 727-300-1515.
Want to learn more about the benefits of solar and working with Florida Solar? Contact us and we’ll answer your questions.